Sedation Dentistry Might Just Be Your Answer
Although the dental chair is made for optimal comfort during a moment of perceived discomfort, there are ways to bring you a greater sense of peace and relaxation. Origin Dental Wellness offers two options.
Option 1: NuCalm – By naturally relaxing the mind and body within minutes, NuCalm helps promote a relaxed and positive dental experience. Its creation was developed by intersecting biochemistry, physics, and neurophysiology to quickly and reliably relax both brain and body. This intersection makes it possible for a patient to be calm and relaxed during treatment. Many of our patients use NuCalm as an alternative to laughing gas or sedation.
Option 2: Sedation – This is offered in several forms (all of which are available at Origin) and the various forms are available depending on your age or the severity of the fear.
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation – Everyone knows this as “laughing gas”. While using nitrous oxide, you are fully awake, yet completely relaxed. Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen are combined through a mask over your nose. The amount you receive is controlled by the dentist and it will wear off quickly. You’re back to normal in several minutes once the procedure is completed.
- IV Conscious Sedation – You probably won’t remember much of your procedure even though you are still conscious. Slurred speech and falling asleep is common until it wears off.
- General Anesthesia – Still considered IV Sedation, a sedative is administered through a vein. It works almost instantly and puts you in deep sedation where you become completely unconscious.
What type of sedation is best for you?
NuCalm is perfect for patients 18 years or older. NuCalm gives you the power to slow down and recharge when you need it. It features technology that uses proven neuroscience to guide you into a deep relaxation allowing your mind and body to naturally relax, restore and renew.
Sedation dentistry is most appropriate for people with:
- A real fear or anxiety of the procedures to be performed
- Severe anxiety that has kept one from seeking help from a dentist in numerous years
- A strong gag reflex
- Large amounts of work to be performed
- Fidgety, uncontrolled movements in the chair
- Super sensitive teeth
What about sedation with children?
Another group of people for which sedation is encouraged is young children. If they are terrified of the dentist, or simply not old enough to understand being a dental patient, we strongly recommend anesthesia. Incredibly fearful children who are forced to have dental treatment are much more likely to experience severe dental anxiety as an adult. This anxiety will prevent them from seeking regular care, often resulting in a lifetime of dental problems that could have been avoided if they had been taken care of compassionately as a child with sedation.
Before proceeding with any type of sedation, the team at Origin Dental Wellness will help you determine what type of sedation is best for you. We will walk through your medical history, hear your story and develop a plan to take the best care of your teeth and you!